- More pollution and energy consumption
Recycling huge amount of garbage will require the amount to be ferried, sorted, and processed at different plants. These plants also require energy to be operated. The recycled material may also produce other by-products that can also pollute air, water and soil. Air pollution can also occur as a result of using more vehicles to transport the recycled materials.
- Increased processing cost and low-quality jobs
Recycling cost is very high compared to the cost of putting up landfills. This is the reason why most industries consider it as being cost inefficient. The process of recycling materials requires a lot of labour. This means huge amount will be spent by industries in employing many people to recycle their materials. Companies are likely to evaluate whether recycling makes sense as compared to other kinds of industrial waste disposal like landfills and burning.
- Require strict rules and regulations
Recycling can pose as a major environmental hazard if the materials are not handled properly. This is because if toxic waste is not properly handled it causes, air soil and water pollution. This is the reason why industries must be follow very strict guidelines to handle toxic waste when they stop using landfills. It is also more riskier to have dumps of toxic waste lying near your industrial plant awaiting recycling.
- No guarantee of good products
It is important to note that some recycled materials are more harmful than the original one. For example, recycled paper uses bleach that is very harmful to your health.
- Ineffective– recycling can cause more pollution, consume a lot of energy and may generally prove to be cost-ineffective.
- Requires space– there must be space where waste industrial materials are received, and sorted. The industry might not have enough space and may be forced to use contractors. This means added cost to your business compared to landfills where you just bury your waste.
- Recycling costs– using a contractor to collect waste for the purpose of recycling means an added cost to your firm. This does not make sense when you can use other cost-effective method like landfills.
From the foregoing, it can be concluded that if you look at recycling from the point of view of the business, it is not cost effective and efficient as compared to waste disposal methods like landfills. For a firm whose main reason is to make profit, recycling may not be the best method.